Last Updated or created 2022-04-26
Many years ago i started segmenting my network using vlans.
In 2022 i started to reconfigure my lab and using a lot more Mikrotik switches.
So how many … is to many, because i always overdo stuff.
Well .. is 9 to many for home environments?
- default vlan – did’t bother to configure
- old DMZ .. to be migrated
- DMZ – my servers live here
- Wifi personal workstations – Mobiles and laptops .. macaddress limited
- IOT – only arduino’s, raspberries and other hardware live here
- Personal workstations – UTP connected workstations with less networking limitations
- LAB – My lab environment, Ovirt virtualisation for fun and manage access to servers in dmz
- Storage – my SFP enabled all-flash storage
- Management – really tight restricted access to management interfaces (switches/routers/storage/ILO)
Hard to manage? All those vlan’s? .. Sure, but i learn a lot!
(Not really .. when you got the basics down, more of the same.
Hardest part? .. not cutting-off connections/switchports you are using!)